Sunday, July 29, 2012

Super Improvers Wall

This year is going to be my year!  I am excited to be undertaking a new personal goal, that of becoming certified in Whole Brain Teaching.  Part of this journey includes using the Super Improvers Wall.  The premise behind using this wall is to motivate students into setting and breaking their own educational and/or behavioral goals.

Finally, after many days of deliberating and tormenting myself, I decided on the theme, "Super Improvers, Going for Gold!"  


With the Olympics going on right now and into the first week of school it just seemed to fit.  So many of these Olympians have overcome many struggles to get to the Olympics that I just couldn’t pass up this opportunity to tie it to the wall.

Super Improvers Wall


I plan to leave the names off the cards until the second week of school.  I want them to be curious as to what it may be.  I can picture their faces when they find out they will have their own chance to go for Gold.

I am picturing students meeting goals and going further than they had ever imagined they could.  I love that this is not a behavior chart or based solely on how they did on their test.  This wall is strictly for kids to see how setting their own personal goals can increase their love of learning and love of school.  I love it when kids are self motivated and this is one way to get them to be.  What is the final reward you ask?  They get to take home the card after they get 10 stars on it and make it to the next level!  They are only motivated to improve for improvements sake not motivated by something they get.

I think the best part of the SIW is how easy it will be to manage.  I love simple and easy because then I can do it.  No going backward,  only onward and upward for my kids this year!! 

If you would like more information on the Super Improvers Wall or anything else WBT  please visit the website.  There are many FREE materials and videos to help you get moving too!

Now, if I could just find the new rules posters I made................
does the wall help with memory or misplacing things??  

Until next time..............................

Deanna

4 comments:

  1. Deanna... I am also Deanna! Isn't the SIW so inspirational! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna . . . I, too, love WBT in Kinder. I would love to know what your levels are for the wall. It is hard to see in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, isn't Deanna a great name? :)

    I apologize for the picture being blurry, it didn't look blurry on my camera.

    The levels are:
    creeper, crawler, toddler, walker, runner, jogger, jumper, bronze medalist, silver medalist, gold medalist. I just wanted it easy for first graders to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting :) Let me know what you think!
Deanna